At the beginning of each year Blackbaud releases a Charitable Giving Report on how nonprofit fundraising performed the previous year (both overall and online) to help nonprofits strategize their fundraising efforts. Here are a few highlights from this report.
- 4,798 nonprofits participated in the report generating $16.2 billion in total fundraising in 2014.
- Charitable giving increased in the United States by 2.1%. This is the third consecutive year overall fundraising has increased.
o Large organizations grew by 1.3%
o Medium organizations grew by 1.3%
o Small organizations grew by 5.8%
- Giving to Public and Society Benefit organizations grew the most is 2014 with a 9.3% increase.
- Since 2012 small organizations have had significantly better fundraising growth rates than medium and large organizations.
- 3,724 nonprofits participated in the report generating $2 billion in online fundraising in 2014.
- Online charitable giving increased in the United States by 8.9%
o Large organizations grew by 8.0 %
o Medium organizations grew by 9.7%
o Small organizations grew by 10.6%
- Higher Education institutions had the largest increase in online giving with a 16.6% increase.
- Nonprofits provided monthly data over a period of 24 months.
- Small organizations are classified as generating less than $1 million/year.
- Medium organizations are classified as generating between $1-$10 million/year.
- Large organizations are classified as generating over $10 million/year.
- Although December is the most popular fundraising month, there continues to be an increase of giving during June.
- Online donations were 6.7% of all fundraising in 2014.
Overall charitable giving has increased from the previous year which is great news for nonprofits and your Derby Duck Race. Online giving also continues to grow in which it is important to keep your duck race and nonprofit websites maintained and up-to-date. To read the full report visit Blackbaud.