While the digital landscape is changing daily there is one thing that remains constant, the need for compelling images in storytelling. Whether you are sharing news, educating about your nonprofit’s cause, fundraising, recruiting volunteers, or recognizing your donors, visual content is a defining factor in helping your audience connect with your organization and your mission. You don’t need to be a graphic designer to create engaging and captivating images to promote your nonprofit and your Derby Duck Race! You can design visual images like a pro by using Canva. It is a great online tool that is free and makes creating beautiful graphics easy for everyone on your nonprofit staff.
Why do visuals matter?
- The brain processes visual information 60,000 times faster than text.
- We can understand a visual scene in 1/10 of a second.
- Visuals draw us in and help us understand content faster and 87% of a Facebook page’s engagement happens on photo posts.
- According to Buffer, adding images to your tweets in Twitter will result in 18% more clicks, 89% more favorites, 150% more retweets.
Features included in Canva:
- Layouts of all types. You don’t have to google the best size for your Facebook cover photo. If there is a specific size you need, you can make your own custom dimensions.
- You can create website images, infographics, presentations, posters, thank you cards, social media posts, and letterhead and numerous other designs.
- Access to 1 million stock images you can drag and drop. Many are free, some are $1.00.
- Easily save, download and share images. (jpg, png, pdf standard and pdf print).
- Auto saves all of your designs.
- Create photo collages in minutes.
- Canva for Iphone App – Try the app on your Iphone which includes the sames features of the Canva desktop version for creating visuals using your phone.
There is also a Canva for Work paid option which you can sign up for that will allow you to resize your images in different formats for blog, Facebook ad, Twitter post and other formats. Canva for Nonrprofits is a free subscription version for nonprofits that includes more enhanced features.
Do you have an online design tool that you could not live without? We’d love to hear about it!